Monday, July 13, 2009

Weekend Away



I spent the whole weekend making art and you will probably never see any of it.

As I mentioned last week, I spent the weekend camping with my mother at the Omega Institute. Together, we took a class in which we learned a process called Touch Drawing. To briefly describe the process, paint is spread on a board and paper placed on top. Then with only your hands, images are created on top of the paper. In this class, the process was used in tandem with mediation and introspection.

Being such a structured artist (I cant believe I am saying that) I had a difficult time letting go of formalism. When I finally did, I saw things in the looseness of my scribbles and was able to bring them to the forefront. Because images are created so quickly, I have piles of sketches from the class and only 2 finished pieces.

The process itself is wonderful for those that cannot hold the small tools required for most art or who do not have formal training. There is no one way to approach the paper. And, it is more about what you are bringing to the art then what the final image appears like.

Make sure to sign up for my giveaway! Entries accepted until July 20th!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love Omega! I went there about three years ago to take a class by Sonia Choquette!

    What a great class. That place is so beautiful and such a mind-opener!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis