Thursday, July 22, 2010

Objectivism is Good For You!

There was a lot of advice my mother gave me growing up. The most important being as long as I try my hardest, it doesn't matter what the final result is. She meant it to apply to my struggle with learning Spanish; but I think it is a great goal for life. It was also, unbeknown to me, the philosophy of author Ayn Rand.

Objectivism believes that we have a moral obligation to do what we love to the best of our ability. By doing this we achieve our highest purpose and contribute in the greatest way to society. As artists, our goal is to express the emotional experience in a physical form. These are definitely oversimplifications, but you get the idea.

How does this apply to running an etsy shop? Do what you do to the best of your ability! DON'T COMPROMISE! Not everyone is going to love it, but as long as you do, does that really matter? By doing what you do you are making the world a better place.

Apply it to your whole life. Be the best mom you can. Can't be the best mom? Have help from someone who is. This does not mean you are less of a person, it is just not your thing. No judgements! You are probably better at other things.

be sure to check out the etsy shops of Atlantis Prints and Sentiment Redesigned whose images I have borrowed for this article.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. And I love Ayn Rand's books, especially The Fountainhead.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis